The Animal Control Officer works regular business hours. For urgent responses, please call 911.
Benefits of Licensing Your Pet:
Being a responsible resident and licensing your pet has benefits for you, your pet and the community. The most important reason to license your pet is so it can be located more quickly and safely returned if lost or stolen. Licensing your pet is required by law and the license provides notification that it has been vaccinated for rabies to keep your pet and our community safe. License fees help support animal control services in Mountlake Terrace.
Which Pets Require a License?
- All cats and dogs that are 3 months of age and over must be licensed and wear their tags.
- Additionally, the city requires a license for goats, horses and pigs.
- Pet owners have 30 days to obtain a license for pets that are new to the City of Mountlake Terrace.
How To License Your Pet:
The city contracts for licensing services with PetData. The easiest way to license your pet or renew a license is by visiting www.petdata.com/MLT and completing an application online. You may also mail your license application, documents and payment.
To License Your Pet Online:
- Visit www.petdata.com/MLT.
- If you received a licensing reminder, please log in using the reference number from that mailing.
- If you have not received a notice or have not previously set up an account, click the "Don't have an account" link.
- Any required documents such as your pet's rabies vaccination certificate, proof of alteration or proof of age to secure a discount may be scanned and uploaded at time of registration. Documents may also be submitted later by mail, email or fax.
To License Your Pet By Mail:
- Download the application here (PDF) or you may have an application mailed or emailed to you by contacting the city at email@example.com or 425-670-8260.
- Complete the application and submit with copies of any required documents such as proof of rabies vaccination, proof of alteration and proof of age to secure the discount for residents age 65 and older who have altered cats or dogs.
- Mail your application with supporting documentation and payment to:
City of Mountlake Terrace
PO BOX 141929
Irving, TX 75014-1929
How Much Does a Pet License Cost?
- Unaltered cat or dog license = $40.00
- Neutered or spayed cat or dog = $20.00 (proof of alteration is required)
- Residents age 65 and older rate for neutered or spayed cat or dog = $10.00 (proof of owner's age and alteration of pet are required)
- License for goat, horse or pig = $20.00
- The license is valid for one year from the date of purchase. License must be renewed annually.
- If lost, replacement tags are $5.00.
- All major credit cards, checks or money orders are accepted. Please do not send cash. Checks should be made payable to "City of Mountlake Terrace."
- A small convenience fee will be applied by the vendor to each online transaction, and the City of Mountlake Terrace does not receive any portion of the fee.
Dogs Running at Large
To protect the public and pets, the fine for allowing a dog to Run at Large is $200 per pet for a first offense. Fines increase with each offense and upon a 4th violation, a Criminal Citation may be issued to the owner.
For the safety of the dog and the public, please call 911 to report dogs at large.
To report a dog disruptively barking, please call 911 while the barking is in progress. Generally, the barking must be witnessed by Police Staff to take action. If the nuisance is observed by an officer, a $50 infraction can be issued.
Dog Bites or Other Dangerous Behavior
Please call 911 to report a dog bite or aggressive behavior. If you are not familiar with the dog or where it lives, please include a description and location of the dog, including the direction of travel.
To report a lost pet with Animal Control call 425-744-6256.
To report a found pet call the Non-Emergency line at 425-407-3999. You have the option to hold the animal until an owner is identified, take the animal to yourself, or ask Police to pick the animal up.